Saturday, February 21, 2009

"The Plan" & Interruption to my ISP.

Hi guys,

I hope you're enjoying the "Interviews" so far, I know I am (but then I guess I'm a bit biased. Lol)

I doubt you'll remember, but in my post on 16th January '09 I mentioned "The Plan" which could, if it goes tits-up, possibly leave me with nothing... no home, no belongings etc.

Well, the first part of the plan is nearing completion. I'm giving up the tenancy on my 4-bedroom home as of Saturday 28th February and renting a bedsit (a lounge/sleeping area, bathroom & kitchen) for a month. I will not actually be living there and so I'll give the minimum one month notice immediately. It's actually a five-way exchange but you don't need to know all the details. Lol.

My brother Dick, his wife & their two daughters will move into my house, from their two-bedroom house, on Saturday 28th February and I will be renting a bedroom from them. Now this is going to be a major culture shock for all of us, but especially me I think, because I've lived alone for so many years.

I'll probably spend a lot of time in my room because that's where my PC will be, whereas at the moment it's in my lounge. The problem is... the bedroom I'm moving to is not the biggest (or the smallest) but with three double wardrobes, a bedside cabinet, a PC desk and a king-size bed, there won't be any room left to move... a little claustrophobic me thinks. Lol.

With the exception of my clothes, footwear, DVD's, CD's, some books, some prints, some Clarice Cliff ornaments, a Jasper Conran (Wedgewood) dinner service and my PC... I've given everything (from cleaning supplies and cutlery to leather sofas, maple lounge units, kitchen appliances and TV's) away to family. I'm sure you can imagine how much furniture and stuff there would be in a 4 bedroom house... and none of it was "shoddy" either. Lol. Anything they don't want will be taken to the tip next Sunday.

So, the next part of "The Plan" is to save enough money (once I've found a job, lol) to rent a furnished apartment in Spain for at least two years. Once I'm working the saving won't be a problem, because the only outgoings I'll have will be my rent (which is £60.00 per week all-in) and my mobile phone :)

Once I'm in Spain I'll search for work... in retail, bars, restaurants, wherever... I really don't care as long as I earn enough to pay the rent and eat. I'll be learning Spanish before I go, so I should be able to get by conversationally at least. Of course, a lot of work over there is seasonal and that's where "The Plan" could fail BIG TIME!! If I end up with no work and I have to come back to the UK, I'll have nowhere to live etc.

I've always been there for my family, and they've always expected me to be there too. When they've had quarrels and rows etc. with their spouses, who have they come to for advice, a shoulder to cry on, somewhere to stay until things cool off?... me, that's who!! But, I couldn't and wouldn't, ask any of my family to put me up... so I could be living in "Cardboard City" before I'm 50. Lol.

I still think I'm doing the right thing though... If I don't do it now (and I really should've done it many years ago), I never will!

EDIT (Hopefully that's a bit clearer. Lol):
Right then, due to the move I will be without any ISP for approx. 5 - 7 days from Saturday 28th. I will schedule "Interviews" for Monday 2nd and Thursday 5th, but obviously, it also means that I will not be on MSN during that period too. I know what you're thinking... awww, what a shame! We'll miss you!! Yeah right!!!! Lol!


Anyway, take care guys and thanks for reading!

Col

p.s. It's now Saturday and I'm waiting for my brother to show up with an assortment of boxes and God knows what else. I've just disposed of any "old" footwear which was stored in one of my bedrooms and, omg, I've still got 37 pairs left! Where the fuck am I going to store them all now?? They're all either new or hardly worn so I don't want to get rid of them... Formals = 8prs, Casuals = 10prs, Trainers = 5prs, Mules, Sandals and Flip-Flops (Thongs?) = 14prs.

Don't even get me started on the amount of clothing I have. Lol.

6 comments:

  1. Col - best of luck with your plan. when we came south, we had the choice of bringing everything with us, at huge cost - or selling, giving away, or junking most of it. We did that - even getting rid of my favourite canoe (I know, it was hard!). Arriving with minimal 'stuff' has been completely liberating - as for all the formal stuff I brought with me - waste of time; I live in shorts, tees and jandals (flipflops, thongs, whatever).
    Good luck with the move. G =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Doomed But Cheeful!: Cost is obviously a huge factor in my reasoning, even while I'm still in the UK. I couldn't afford to store all my furniture etc... let alone the cost of shipping it all over to Spain too!

    I agree with you that it's liberating and I'm really looking forward to spending a lot of my time in shorts, tees and sandals, even if that's going to be a while away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well good luck to you and all that. Hope to see ya back here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. col-I don't believe you are a believer but I am going to pray that God blesses you and provides for you in your new adventure. In Jesus name I pray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Col. I am so happy for you that you are making things move along towards your (dream?) goals.

    I pray too, in my own way, that everything works out well - I know you are taking a gamble on things, but I'm sure it will turn out ok. Just don't leave yourself too at risk although I'm sure your family would always welcome you if you ever needed them.

    I'm sure you are nervous and anxious and also eager and excited to make this big change in your life. I'm happy for you too!!

    But jeez.... 37 pairs of shoes!!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Peter: Thanks matey! I appreciate it and I hope everything is good with you. Have a great weekend!

    @ pathfinder1968: Whether I believe or not, I really appreciate your prayers. It's very kind of you! Thank you very much.

    @ Seth: Thanks Seth. All I need now, to move it along quicker, is a bloody job or a nice lottery win. Lol. As for being nervous, anxious, eager and excited... yep! to every one of those :)

    ReplyDelete