Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Volunteering update.

Hi guys,

I just received a phone call from the volunteer lady to say that she's still waiting to hear from her colleague at the GBLT drop-in cafe. As everybody only works part-time it can sometimes be quite a long wait.

However, she also went on to say that she was going to be cheeky and ask me if I would be interested in being her own support assistant, on a volunteer basis of course. Apparently after our two telephone conversations last week she got the impression that I was a confident person (probably because I wouldn't give up lol) and she felt that I would be suited to the position.

As I said in my introduction to blogging, I am very confident in work situations...face to face and telephone...just not in social situations.
So, I am meeting with her tomorrow morning to discuss things and learn about the role. This doesn't mean I'm giving up on volunteering with a GBLT group, in fact, she said that if I was working there I could look for those openings myself lol.

Looking forward to it and I'll update as and when.

Now, what am I going to wear?? It will probably take me an hour to decide lol!!


Take care,
Col

10 comments:

  1. awesome! Sounds like good news. And, after you've been there a while, you might get leads to a paying job too. W00t!

    Aron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put a nice frock on, 3" inch heels (no higher!), and some decent accessories :D But not too many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No earrings, and a subtle shade of lipstick.

    Just kidding :)

    But seriously - don't let her or anyone else, take advantage of your good nature (and eager willingness) in terms of work.

    Theres a big difference, and a fine line, between WORK (paid) and VOLUNTEER (un-paid). You can get caught up in the former, but being treated like the latter, and that won't put you anywhere ahead.

    Volunteering for a cause, and volunteering for the social aspect of being involved, is alot different than doing things that you should be getting paid for!!

    Just keep that in mind. Of course, you can make it a positive experience, possibly turn that into a regular paying job, or open up many new contacts and opportunities. And keep up the search for the right activity!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I've read about your GLBT volunteering endeavors and I wish you best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments/advice guys.

    Take care.

    Col

    ReplyDelete
  6. Col, I've linked your blog to mine.Take care mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy for you! and please my friend,do take Seths' advice.Do not let people take advantage of your good nature! it will eventually put you right back where you started, and we do not want that! This is a great opportunity for you! i am sure you will succeed with "flying Colors"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay - I am sure this is just the break you have been waiting for. Let us know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Doomed but cheerful.
    Col

    ReplyDelete