Thursday, November 6, 2008

Poor White Trash! (Part 1)

Thanks to everybody who took the time to read my first post, and a special thanks to those who commented. I was amazed to receive any comments at all…lol.

My blog name was taken from Aaron Hill's Works, circa 1750, and it simply means:
To tackle a difficult problem boldly.

So yeah, we were a poor family. My dad was out of work a lot more than he was in it and that didn’t make for a happy childhood. It wasn’t just being poor either, from around the age of four I never felt loved, or even liked, by my dad. He was Irish and had a real temper, and he only seemed to care and have time for my brother…you’ll here more about them in future posts.

Anyway, I remember when I was very young (when there was only three children) and dad was working, I couldn’t wait for him to come home from work.
He would pick us up and spin us around, hug and kiss us, throw us up and down, let us sit on his motor bike and just enjoy having his kids around him…he had his temper though and we never knew how long his good mood would last.

We moved to a larger house when I was seven because a year earlier my mum had her fourth child, that’s when things started to get bad. To make matters worse my mum had another child the following year. So now there were five kids to feed, clothe etc and dad wasn’t working.

Maybe I should explain that my dad was a catholic, so he didn’t believe in contraception, he was fourteen years older than my mum and they were both raised to believe that a woman’s place is most definitely in the home…and a wife should never refuse her husband his conjugal rights.

We never went hungry but it was a daily struggle for them to make ends meet, I know they made sacrifices but when you’re a kid you just can’t see it.

So, all our clothes were either hand-me-downs from friends and relatives, or from jumble sales.
It’s bad enough going to school with your friend when you’re wearing the clothes he has grown out of, but my mum used to buy some really ugly stuff at the jumble sales…the ugliest thing was this pair of PURPLE trousers, but that’s not the worst of it, it was the material…CRUSHED VELVET!!!!

Aaaargh!!! Purple crushed fucking velvet…I mean, helloooo!! What were you thinking mum?…lol.

Well, as you can probably imagine, I was mortified at the thought of actually having to wear these to school. Let’s face it: young kids don’t really think before they speak.
But, no matter how much I pleaded or cried (seriously, you would’ve thought I was being murdered with the amount of screaming I was doing…lol), I had to wear them.
I really can’t remember if anybody took the piss at school (but you would though, wouldn’t you!), I think I’ve just blocked out the trauma of it all…lol.

Sorry, this is going on too long, I might have to start splitting posts into part 1, part 2 etc.
I know what I want to say, I just keep going off on tangents though. To me it’s all related, but it probably reads like a mish-mash of verbal diarrhoea to you.

I’ll post part 2 tomorrow.

Yes, I’m also stealing the “Random facts about me” thing, sorry :) and I’m going to add some (hopefully) humorous stuff at the end of each post too.

So, some random stuff:

I hate spiders and moths.

I hate puppets, especially clowns and large birds…they’ve always scared the crap out of me lol.

My first real sexual contact with another male was when I was aged 12.

My last was aged around 35 (yeah, it’s easy to figure out how long I’ve not “had any” for lol).

Finally, some interesting facts (with some humour thrown in for good measure).
I hope it makes you chuckle!

If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
(Now that's more like it!)
The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
(O.M.G.!)
A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes.
(In my next life, I want to be a pig.)
A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Creepy.)
(I'm still not over the pig.)
Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.
(Don't try this at home, maybe at work.)
The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
('Honey, I'm home. What the..?!')
The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field.
(30 minutes...lucky pig! Can you imagine?)
The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.
(What could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond?)
Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
(I still want to be a pig in my next life...quality over quantity.)
Butterflies taste with their feet.
(Something I always wanted to know.)
The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
(Hmmmmmm..)
Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.
(If you're ambidextrous, do you split the difference?)
Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.
(okay, so that would be a good thing.)
A cat's urine glows under a black light.
(I wonder who was paid to figure that out?)
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
( I know some people like that.)
Starfish have no brains.
(I know some people like that too.)
Polar bears are left-handed.
(If they switch, they'll live a lot longer.)
Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
(What about that pig??)

6 comments:

  1. so if you're a pigmantisroach wanking left handed, you will need to rip your head off to get an orgasm for 30 min and then die - but nine days later. i can tell it's gonna be a sad story, so until you get to the happy ending, i will focus on the purple crushed velvet trousers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of my 2nd grade school picture. There I am in the outfit that my mom sewed for me -- a red, white, and blue striped trouser (think American flag) with red, and blue striped with white stars shirt. Boy did I stick out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's this prejudice against lefties? We demand equal lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Col - I had a pair of purple crushed velvet trousers - flared, of course, with great big yellow buttons (3) on the pockets (slanted, like on jeans) and - get this - yellow stitching in the side seams. These were the most radical, stylish, outrageous trousers I owned and I loved 'em (circa 1975) and my goodness my ass looked cute (so I was told by a very gorgeous American kid in my form). Not until the '90s, when I got a pair of rainbow jeans in Belfast, did I have a vaguely comparable item in my wardrobe.

    Apart from feeling differently about our clothes, that appears to be yet another scary someting in common that we seem to have!

    Please keep writing! It might even shame me into it too =]

    Gurney x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys :)

    @ Razz: Nicely summarised. How long did that take to work out...Lol.

    @ Anon: Ahhh, bless!! Sounds really cute.

    @ Naturgesetz: Nothing personal...Lol.

    @ Gurney: This was around 1971/72. Mmmm, maybe I was just ahead of my time when it came to fashion. You never know, I may have started a trend...Not! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man!!! I just read your blog - and welcome to blogland - and it cracks me up (the random/humour bits) and made me really LOL.

    But the rest of its fascinating too - its nice to find an adult with an interesting blog, and i'm looking forward to reading more!!

    We also seem to have alot of things in common in life, its always amazing to find out how other people have gone through things I thought I was the only one dealing with.

    I think you've come across my blog, sethboyardee. I've got a ton of links to publish and i will include yours, once (if ever) my blogrolling thing starts working again.

    Anyway.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete